- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro (or parsley), lemon juice and chutney. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with yogurt
Per serving: 233 calories; 3 g fat ( 0 g sat , 2 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein;13 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 910 mg potassium.