- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5cm/2in piece root ginger, grated
- Heat a deep saucepan or a medium sized wok and add the coconut butter followed by the onions and garlic.
- Fry the mixture till the onions are caramelised. Then add the salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli powders. Mix for a minute and tip in the tomato. Cook the sauce until it begins to thicken.
- Add ¼ cup of water and stir. Then tip in the chickpeas and mix. Mash a few of the chickpeas while cooking. Cover and simmer for five minutes. Then add the ginger and the garam masala. Cook for another minute.
- Serve with 2 heaped tablespoons of plain basmati rice.